CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm the worst mommy ever

We all have those moments when we feel like the worst parent in the world. Now I'm not talking about the times that your teenager says they hate you or when your toddler calls you "meanie". I am talking about those times when your kid gets really hurt and it is your fault.


Last night I was out mowing the lawn and Drake was just playing, digging in the dirt, etc. Well, I mow past our plum tree and notice that all the plums are starting to fall off. So I shut off the mower and say to Drake "I gotta go tell Daddy something". Then I pop my head inside just long enough (literally) to say to Shane "hey, if you want to salvage any of these plums you better come pick them". I turn around and see Drake bent down by the mower examining it (as three year olds do) then he lets out this horrible screech. I run over pick him up and carry him inside while he is crying all the way. At first I wasn't sure if he had cut himself, or just got pinched or what. Turns out he had a nasty burn on his little hand. Poor little dude. He spent the next hour with his hand in bucket of ice water. He burned the tips of his first two fingers and the pad of his thumb, plus the space between his thumb and finger.


It blistered pretty good. He seems ok today, but cried like crazy when one of the blisters popped. I just feel bad cause I feel like it was my fault. I mean seriously, who leaves their kid outside with a hot lawnmower.

6 comments:

Tracey Lee said...

Michelle, you can't beat yourself up over it. Seriously, I can't even count the little and big injuries that we've had over the years that could have been prevented. Just be glad he is okay, give him a love and wait for the next owie! It'll happen! (Hopefully later than sooner, but ya know what I mean)

Give the dude a hug from me, and chin up!

Tracey Lee said...

Oh and that was me...Kristy...GRRRRRGHHHH both Tracey and I having gmail accounts. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Poor kid. It happens. We just don't think most of the time, especially in those but it will just take a second moments. He still loves you.

Sherie said...

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry little Drake got hurt. I remember doing about the same thing when I was a kid. I burned my thigh and had a huge blister. I will be praying for you and Drake!

TAB Photographic said...

So understandable, but you do need to stop for a moment. Why? Because it could have been much worse. What if the mower was still running and he stuck his hand into the blade? Or what if he grabbed it and it pinned him down with that heat on his face or something??? Or... What if you were mowing and a plum fell off the tree, got sucked up in the mower, flew out at like 300 miles per hour and plugged itself into his eye... ;o)

just take it easy. Things happen. When I was two I fell into a hibachi grill and burnt my arm and neck... I don't blame my stupid, ignorant, self absorbed parents. HAH! LOL... Seriously, don't beat yourself up...

Michelle said...

Ok, I know it isn't funny, but just thinking of my mower sucking up a plum and propelling it at 300 miles per hour just got me giggling. That would just be fun to see (minus the eye damage of course).